Yet another unemployed guy… how did this happen?

I don’t like guests. I’m not very hospitable, and a terrible host besides. Our apartment is in a perpetual transitional state. Ripping and packing up 1500 CDs is the current project, but there’s always something. And if that weren’t enough, the cats are trained to annoy guests with their cuteness and persistent affection. Yet people still visit for some reason. It must be the scenic walk up Roosevelt Ave; the allure of slush and garbage can be intoxicating. Maybe they just come to see wifey.

I don’t really like guests on Jobless and Less either. The site wouldn’t really be about MY experiences with unemployment and under-employment if other people did all the writing. But I’m not fundamentally against guest writers. Rumor has it that other people have interesting unemployment experiences and opinions about them.

It’s been almost two years since Ben Breier—the last guest poster—shared his tales of interviewing woe. I’ve since been solicited often, though nobody ever seems to quite get it. The world just doesn’t need another post about how to write a resume or what to say in an interview. The topics have been amply covered, elsewhere, by people who actually have jobs. Why would anyone trust advice on finding work from a site run by someone who can’t find work? It’s much more fun and interesting to laugh at my repeated failures.

An aspiring contributor does occasionally get it. Charlie Johnson emailed me this past week with a link to his video. He’s a clever lad, who has been unemployed since November. Months can seem like years to a recent college grad itching to put his education and skills to work.

I know the feeling. At 23, I was impatient about my job situation too. When I failed to nail down a coveted blacksmith position at the town stables, I became a cobbler. Shoes for farmers and tradesmen would have to suffice. Then came the Great War and the Roaring Twenties, and my skills were suddenly outdated. (“Suddenly” took 15 years in my youth.) I thought my career was over, but the end of my career was just getting started.

Charlie is much younger than I am. He still has skills and experience and drive. He also has initiative and chutzpah, and a fierce jump cut to rival any Hollywood director. So I’m letting him tell his story, his way. Enjoy. Let this be a reminder that smart and creative people everywhere are struggling through this terrible job market.

• more Yet another unemployed guy... how did this happen?

1. Dalilama wrote:

Neat contribution to the blog Norm, fits the humor here. I thought he had a unique way to present himself that truly showed off his mad jump-cutting skillz. My advice to Charlie would be to put a specific direction into the video about what job he’s looking for instead of just a paycheck; and also, you’re ‘done’ after just 3 months of job hunting? Really? You have no life-responsibilities on your back to be so flustered. Yet you expect things to happen quickly. Don’t know where Gen Y got this immediacy expectation, but I’ve sadly seen it from many of them in the business world.

I’d suggest leaving that part out of your video Charlie, since really, instead of a powerful call to action, the take away from your self-marketing video is, ‘I give up’. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Just a little friendly advice from someone who has not given up, but experienced more than my fair share of this recession. Good luck to you sir.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink
  2. Catherine wrote:

I have a daughter around the same age, who actually went to the same school. She also has a somewhat “useless degree” ( as most undergrad degrees are) but is working…
    Why? Because she took a starvation wage Americorps position right out of college, and then went from that into a better job. It is far easier to find a job when you are working…
    Also, I am no prude, but I would advise you to lose the cute “cuss words” if you are seriously looking for a job. And done looking? That is giving up way too soon, in my opinion. Look into Americorps if you have not already done so…..

Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Permalink
  3. Baltimore Ann wrote:

I just hope that job is in South Korea..and not North Korea. Good luck, Charlie.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Permalink
  4. You think you are tired of unemployment? haha

I actually made a similar blog/website as yours. I am not sure if you are interested in “teaming up” but yea, I really am striving to help those who have been unemployed. It is mentally exhausting and makes you feel down about yourself.

UnemploymentUnderground.com Unemployment website

Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Permalink
  5. Heather wrote:

Funny video, Charlie. I love your sense of humor. I love laughing about being unemployed (you can laugh or cry, I choose to laugh, usually).

But, you need to buck it up little camper. We have been fighting the unemployment battle for 3 years. Yes, that is 3 years, not months or weeks. 3 years on Monday, to be exact. So, you better take that job in Korea or get comfortable, because at 4 months, you have probably just started your journey of unemployment.

Best of luck to you. And keep that sense of humor, you will need it.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Permalink
  6. We Want Jobs

In the ‘Great Depression’, jobs were created by the government through “The Works Progress Administration (renamed during 1939 as the Work Projects Administration; WPA -quote from Wikipedia).

It should happen again!!

We can make it happen.

Look

at Egypt. One man started a revolution.
    On Labor Day,

every city hall in America can have a demonstration of unemployed, under employed, union workers, struggling small business owners and those related to or concerned about our struggling masses.
    Send this e-mail to everyone you know that is concerned about our fellow country men. Use Facebook and Twitter, blogs and e-mails to inform them that we are fed up with the wealth of our country being concentrated in the hands of 1% of our population Taxes can be increased on the wealthy and the infrastructure of America can be improved and rebuilt just as it was during the Great Depression. Then, as now, millions of good paying jobs can be created.

WE WANT JOBS!

Bring back WPA

On Labor day, with one message, we can assemble, notifying the press, TV stations and radio talk shows!!!

Our

JOBS march will happen across the nation at 4 PM eastern time on Labor Day, Sept 5th, 2011. (3PM Central-2PM Mountain-1PM Pacific)

So I ask each of you to pass this e-mail along, like a chain letter, asking each person who receives the e-mail to pass it on and on and on. Use your Facebook and Twitter accounts as well as any other public Internet venues. As we get closer to the date, send letters to the editor of your local paper. By Labor Day, every person in the US should know of our march.

Employed persons do not drain our economy with unemployment costs. Employed persons are less needy of food stamps and other welfare costs.

Employed persons are more apt to have medical insurance paying for health costs.

Employed persons buy more goods contributing to business successes.

Business successes provide more jobs.

Employed persons pay taxes!

There is no downside to ‘employed’ people in a society.

We don’t have to raise taxes to finance this project. We don’t need 737 military bases around the world. Bring home 700 of them and the jobs now given to support in those countries. We don’t need to be giving millions of dollars of cash to the leaders of countries where we are fighting wars.

We can create jobs immediately. Rehire all the federal, state and local government laid off employees. Fill openings at state and local parks. For the long haul, rebuild water lines, roads, sidewalks, etc.

Congress is on a 5 week vacation. When they come back to their job, we can have a message for them. “We want jobs!”

Our message will be ‘We Want Jobs’ . Let congress figure out how!

Copy this and send it everywhere!

Pete Williams Our web site AssemblyGroup.info

You may e-mail me at Pete@assemblygroup.info but I don’t have a staff so may not be able to respond.

We Want Jobs

It should happen again!!

We can make it happen.

Look

at Egypt. One man started a revolution.
    On Labor Day,

WE WANT JOBS!

Bring back WPA

Our

Employed persons buy more goods contributing to business successes.

Business successes provide more jobs.

Employed persons pay taxes!

There is no downside to ‘employed’ people in a society.

Our message will be ‘We Want Jobs’ . Let congress figure out how!

Copy this and send it everywhere!

Pete Williams Our web site AssemblyGroup.info

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Permalink
  7. J wrote:

Visit http://www.Jobageddon.com to be heard and find work, support and more!

Friday, September 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink
  8. anz wrote:

This site has some really funny humor too if you need to laugh at being unemployed (while you’re not crying that is.)
    workinonitinpgh.blogspot.com